Frequently Asked Questions
1. What should we wear? Each tour is unique as some offer opportunities for swimming, while others require sturdy footwear. Reference each Adventure Page to see what you should wear and bring.
2. How do I make a reservation for an adventure with Hawaii Forest & Trail? You can book online by clicking the Reservations menu at the top of the page, or call us toll-free at 1-800-464-1993 to reserve over the phone. Our phone lines are open Monday through Friday, 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM HST, and Saturday and Sunday, 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM HST.
3. Do we need to make reservations in advance? We highly recommend booking your tour in advance. Some of our more popular tours sell out 1 – 2 weeks in advance and other tours are sold on demand. Booking early means you get to do the tour you want on the day you want.
4. Can I call the day before and get on a tour once we are on the island? Yes, although your tour of choice may be sold out. We do keep a wait list.
5. What is your cancellation policy? Depending on your group size, you need to give a minimum of 24 hours cancellation notice. Groups of 5 or less require 24 hours notice. For groups of 6 or more require 48 hours notice. For private charters, 72 hours notice is required. With less than the minimum notice, guests are charged the full price of the tour.
6. What happens if it rains? We go rain or shine. Guides always bring raingear for everyone. We only cancel when weather makes transportation or walking hazardous.
7. Where do your tours leave from? Departure locations vary from Adventure to Adventure, so check your specific Adventure page for departure locations. Also, we do hotel pickups on a limited basis. Contact our friendly staff to find out if a hotel pickup is available for your Adventure.
8. How do we get to Hawaii Forest and Trail headquarters? We are located on Highway 19 about three miles north of the town of Kailua-Kona across from the Honokohau Harbor entrance on the ‘mountain side’ of the highway behind the Tesoro gas station. Our street address is 74-5035B Queen Kaahumanu Highway, Kailua Kona, HI 96740.
9. Do you have any special discounts? AAA, military, group and return guest discounts are available.
10. What are your office hours? We take your reservations from 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM weekdays, and 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM weekends. Our retail store closes 30 minutes before. All times Hawaiian Standard.
11. How many people do you take on tour at a time? Four to 14 guests. To accommodate larger groups multiple vehicles and guides are available.
12. How knowledgeable are your drivers? We take great pride in having some of the best Interpretive Guides on the island. Our Guides are trained in island ecology, geology, natural history, in addition to safe driving practices, customer service and first aid.
13. What tours do you operate that are not accessible to the public? Our Kohala Waterfalls, Waipio Rim Hike and Holoholo Hualalai PinzTrek Adventures are all on private land. Additionally, the Hakalau National Wildlife Refuge Adventure is via permit only.
14. Do you operate tour on the other Hawaiian Islands? No, but we’d be happy to refer you to a reputable outfitter.
17. Can I have an exclusive tour for just myself and my family? Yes, we do private tours. For more information, check out our Customer or Private Tours section, or contact our friendly staff.
18. What is your best tour for children? Kohala Waterfalls Adventure, Holoholo Hualalai PinzTrek Adventure and Kilauea Volcano Adventure are all great family tours.
19. What if I am looking for a longer hike? We can do longer hikes by request on an exclusive basis. For more information, check out our Customer or Private Tours section, or contact our friendly staff.
20. What about tipping the guides? In considering a gratuity for your guide, please consider the following: did you feel welcomed, was the tour operated safely, did the guide provide for your care and comfort, was the tour enjoyable, educational, and engaging?